Help with paying

Council Tax Reduction helps people on benefits or a low income to pay their Council Tax.

The amount of the reduction depends on many factors including the make-up of your household and the income of household members.

The rules for Council Tax Reduction are made partly by central government and partly by local councils.  Central government made a basic scheme, known as the default scheme, and makes changes each year which all councils must follow. Camden applies the default scheme but we award the maximum Council Tax Reduction and we have a higher earnings disregard.

Further information is available in the Council Tax Reduction Scheme document (PDF)

Maximum Council Tax Reduction

From 1 April 2017 the maximum Council Tax Reduction in Camden is equal to 100% of the applicant's Council Tax liability (reducing the charge to nil). 

From 1 April 2013 to 31 March 2017 the maximum reduction was 91.5% for working-age applicants and 100% for pension-age applicants. 

Universal Credit

If you receive Universal Credit you will still need to make a separate claim for a Council Tax Reduction 

Apply for a Council Tax Reduction

If you would like to apply for Council Tax Reduction or Housing Benefit (help with rent):

Log on to your Camden Account and click on "Housing Benefits"

Apply for a council tax reduction online

Report a change in circumstances

Once you start receiving a Council Tax Reduction you must tell us about changes to you and the people you live with.

Tell us about a change

Changes from 1st April 2020

On 1 April 2020 we’re introducing Council Tax Support (CTS) to replace our Council Tax Reduction Scheme. This will make the support we give residents to pay council tax simpler and fairer. If you’re on this Scheme now, you’ll automatically be moved onto CTS.  

There will be some changes from the Council Tax Reduction Scheme  so, if you receive CTS,  we’ll send you a letter and leaflet to explain the changes in March.

If you’re a pensioner, the support you receive now will not change. 

This is how CTS will differ to our current Scheme:   

  1. A change in support for families with young adults living at home: If you’re a parent or carer and have a young adult living with you, we won’t reduce the amount of council tax support you receive until they reach the age of 25. However, we will ask you to pay something towards council tax if young adults aged 25 and over are living with you and earning over £86 a week. 
  2. More financial support for working families with children: If you work at least 16 hours a week, we’ll ask you to tell us what your childcare costs are because we will take them into account when we calculate your discount and the amount we ask you to pay. 
  3. More financial support for residents with disabilities: If you currently receive a disability benefit like Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance (DLA), or if you look after someone and receive Carer’s Allowance, you’ll get more support to pay your council tax than residents who don’t receive a disability benefit. 
  4. We’ve made the scheme fairer for residents on Universal Credit: If you’re on Universal Credit, you’ll be able to backdate your CTS claim to the first day you started receiving UC. 
  5. We’re introducing income bands: If your income goes up and down, as long as your income stays within the same band, the amount of council tax you pay won’t change. The income bands will be based on London Living Wage.